We've been talking about smart insulin pens for years. A smart pen that includes some of the helpful features found in today's smart pumps would help non-pump patients increase the success of their diabetes management greatly.
We've been talking about smart insulin pens for years. A smart pen that includes some of the helpful features found in today's smart pumps would help non-pump patients increase the success of their diabetes management greatly. Pendiq is a new digital insulin pen manufactured by Diamesco Co, that was announced at the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) meeting in Lisbon in September of 2011. This totally new digitally motorized insulin pen is first to incorporate some of these features.
There isn't a lot of information available but here is what we do know:
- A small motor mechanism that allows 0.1 unit doses. Normal insulin pens can deliver insulin in half unit, one unit or two unit increments so this extra flexibility is great for small children and people on less than 35u a day.
- Deliveries of 5 units/sec for fast doses – great for busy people who need to inject and keep moving.
- Wide display for reading, you can see the information you need easily
- Displays how much insulin you have left in the cartridge
- Allows you to preprogram fixed and variable doses
- Set alarms for low battery, blocked injection, and double-dosing – a great safety feature
- Can record the last 100 injections with units, date and time. This allows you to keep a detailed chart of your injections to share with your diabetes healthcare team.
- Downloads into DIABASS Diabetes Management Software – you can take data from your pen and compare it to your blood sugar monitor’s data, or integrate the data into one chart.
- Information transfer goes through a convenient USB cable.
- Rechargeable battery
- Automatic priming
The Pendiq Digital Insulin Pen currently only ships to the following countries: