Advancements in technology will continue to help us improve our monitoring and control of diabetes. Diabetes software continues to get better and better and incorporate these advancements, such as the smartphone market. We have listed a number of diabetes-related software programs below, including smartphones, desktop, and online software. If you know of any other useful software for people with diabetes, please contact us.
- Diasend is an online data management system for uploading data from various glucose meters, Animas insulin pumps, and Dexcom CGMs
- Lifebringer is a Diabetes management tool made for Diabetics that keeps track of blood sugar/glucose tests, A1C records, and test strips. You may also view your blood sugar records in either a grid format or visual reports to get a better understanding of how you are doing. Lifebringer also reminds you, the Diabetic, to test at times you choose as well as warning you when your test strip count is low (optional)
- SugarStats.com – SugarStats provides online diabetes management, community support, and collaborative sharing to motivate and improve health. Free accounts or $8.29/month accounts available.
- DiabetEASE is a web-based download program. Said to work with One Touch Basic, One Touch Profile, SureStep, Ultra, Glucometer Dex, Glucometer Elite XL, and FreeStyle meters. Price: Free
- Dia-Log has an On-Line Diabetes LogBook in which data is entered by hand. Price: Free
- SiDiary is a terrific freeware program by Alf Windhorst for Windows or Pocket PC. Price: Free
The new Version 6 is also available for purchase for Windows PC, Pocket PC, Smartphones, and Java cellphones.
- NuMedics founded by Kazi Ahmed has two products: CliniPro for the physician and Diabetes Partner PC for the person with diabetes. Downloads Lifescan, Roche, Medisense, and Bayer meters. Price: $99 for you, several thousand dollars for the physician who wants to be tied in.
- Fitness Assistant is a software program that tracks calories and net carbs (great for diabetics). Free 30-day full-featured trial. Priced at $49.95.
- Insulin Pump Timer reminds you when to refill insulin, change infusion sets, or do other repetitive tasks. Need to change infusion sets every 3 days? Need an insulin refill every 4 days? No problem. 3 timers are included to make it easy for you to manage multiple reminders for the same insulin pump or multiple insulin pumps. Works with any insulin pump because the app does NOT directly connect to your insulin pump.
- MyTelcare Diabetes Pal helps track, analyze, and share blood glucose, medication, and food data manually AND automatically from the Telcare meter. All data is synchronized and viewable at mytelcare.com for FREE.
- Glucose Buddy – Diabetes Helper 2.0 allows you to enter glucose, carbohydrates, insulin, pills, and activity logs. There are medication reminders and alerts built in, as well. You can email or view all of your data on your free GlucoseBuddy.com online account.
- Diabetes Pilot App is designed and supported by people with diabetes who actually use the software themselves. Every feature is designed to be fast, flexible, and easy to use. Use the program alone or, better yet, use it in combination with our Diabetes Pilot Desktop software. Information that you record on your iPhone or iPod can be transferred to Diabetes Pilot Desktop where extensive reporting and printing features to allow you to further analyze your data, print it, back it up for safekeeping, and save it in various formats for emailing, faxing, and use in other programs.
Price: Multiple Prices and In-App Purchases
There aren’t many apps specifically for diabetes but you can search their app store for carb and calorie trackers.
- National Institutes of Health Diabetics Consultant is more of a reference than an application for tracking. You’ll find exercise suggestions, first aid handling insulin shock, diabetic coma, medications, nutrition info, and more. Plus you’ll find an approximately 300-word Glossary on Diabetes, Treatments for Diabetes, and Medical Terminology, as they relate specifically to Diabetics.
For a comprehensive, up-to-date list of the thousands of titles that are available, you will need to view the Google Play Store.
- Glucofacts Deluxe Diabetes Management Software works on Macs and PCs but you must have a Contour meter.
- Health Tracker is a simple program that helps you keep track of and graph any health-related measurements. 15 Day Free Trial
- GNU Gluco Control is open-source (free) software, intended for type 1 diabetics. It supports storing insulin, BG data, and food data (use the USDA database that’s included or create your own). Other features include a helper for Bolus doses, printing data, displaying graphs, and support for importing meter data. Also works on Linux systems.
- DietPower has a 14-day trial. It allows you to track 30 different vitamins and minerals and has a database of 21,000 foods.
- Diabetes Pilot Desktop for Windows includes all of the standard Diabetes Pilot features and allows you to print reports, save your data for use in other programs or email, and edit and analyze your data on your computer. Free trial available.
- Fitness Assistant is a software program that tracks calories and net carbs (great for diabetics). Free 30-day full-featured trial. Windows portable edition available.
Cables For Downloading
Cables allow you to connect the data in your meter to a blood sugar software program on your computer.
- LifeScan Interface Cable (for use with LifeScan Blood Glucose Meters with data management capabilities) and the OneTouch Diabetes Management Software v2.3 is available at Drugstore.com for $29.99.