It’s important (and sometimes difficult) to stay motivated when dealing with diabetes. Take a look at some great “staying motivated tips.”
Managing a Good Life Anyway
By Aileen Kirby
Live a zestful life with diabetes.
Cope with fears of complications.
Live your best possible life with complications.
God grant me the serenity to accept the things
- Learn everything you can about diabetes.
- Learn everything you can about your own body.
- Be an active participant in your own health care.
- Be sure you relate to your medical team according to your medical needs.
- Build a support network.
- Use stress managers.
- Learn to live in the present.
- Grieve your losses, feel your feelings.
- Develop the spiritual side of yourself, in accordance with your own beliefs.
- Rely on a sense of humor.
- Be pro-active—find out your options and do what you can.
- Make realistic goals and approach them in manageable increments.
- Develop a variety of passions and interests.
- Be clear to others about your expectations.
- Avoid being over-compulsive.
- Use mental tricks to help you cope.
- Incorporate the AA Serenity Prayer into your thinking:
- Be open to change and new discoveries.
- Be open to possibilities you cannot yet imagine.
- Be open to insight, inspiration, support and encouragement from unexpected sources.
- Avoid personalizing the case histories of other people.
- Continually ask yourself, “What will improve the quality of my life?”
- Build a mental inventory of joyful moments.
- Get professional help for the “Big Ones”.
- Get involved outside yourself.
Also read our MoToMove articles about some inspirational people with Diabetes.
Newly Diagnosed Sections:
Risk/Diagnosis | Types of Diabetes | Diabetes Care | Blood Sugar Testing | Diet & Nurition Plans | Insulins
Diabetes Medications | Your Diabetes Healthcare Team | Staying Motivated