Tandem’s latest insulin pump, the t:slim X2 with Basal-IQ™ technology, integrates with the Dexcom® G6 Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM) system to predict and help prevent lows with zero fingersticks. Basal-IQ technology is a predictive low-glucose suspend (PLGS) feature that helps reduce the frequency and duration of low-glucose events by predicting glucose levels 30 minutes before they happen and suspending insulin if they are expected to drop below 80 mg/dL. Insulin delivery resumes as soon as sensor glucose values begin to rise. Zero fingersticks are required for calibration or mealtime dosing but if users notice glucose alerts and CGM readings do not match symptoms or expectations, use a blood glucose meter to make diabetes treatment decisions. The X2 is approved for users age 6 and older and can be used solely as an insulin pump.
Clinical trials of the PLGS technology showed promising results. There was a 31% relative reduction in sensor time below 70 mg/dL when study participants used a t:slim X2 insulin pump with Basal-IQ technology. Also, 91% of study participants said the Basal-IQ feature on the t:slim X2 Insulin Pump was easy to use.
Dexcom is the preferred CGM brand, with products that feature exceptional performance. Integration with the Dexcom G6 CGM System provides additional advantages:
- 10-day sensor wear
- Simple auto-applicator
- Discreet, water-resistant sensor
- Data sharing with friends, family, and caregivers
- Acetaminophen blocking (a problem in previous versions of the Dexcom sensor)
Other Pump Benefits
Benefits of the t:slim X2 insulin pump with Basal-IQ technology also include:
- Upgradeable software
- Large color touchscreen
- Durable and light aluminum casing
- Rechargeable battery
- Watertight construction
- Small size (up to 38% smaller than other pumps)
- Micro-USB port
- 300-unit reservoir
- Micro-Delivery® technology
- Bluetooth® connectivity
- No complicated settings or modes to manage
T:connect Diabetes Management App
The t:connect app provides access to the data on the X2 insulin pump, Dexcom CGM, and various glucose meters (OneTouch® Verio® IQ, OneTouch UltraMini®, OneTouch Ultra® 2, FreeStyle® Lite®, FreeStyle Freedom Lite®, Accu-Chek® Aviva, Accu-Chek Compact Plus). Compatible with Macs and PCs, you can create insightful charts and graphs that help uncover significant trends and make adjustments. There is also built-in support for allowing family, friends, and/or healthcare providers access to your readings.
Tandem is the only company that allows its customers to remotely update or add features on their in-warranty insulin pump without waiting for medical insurance to cover a new device. With Tandem, you are investing in the pump that gets updated, not outdated.
Infusion Set Changes
Tandem decided to create a proprietary connector for its infusion sets: the t:lock™ Connector. This connector reduces fill time by 30 seconds and lowers the amount of insulin used in the fill process by 4.4 units. While it is a new design, it looks, feels and functions in a very similar way to the original Luer-lock connector.
Tandem’s infusion sets include:
- AutoSoft™ 90 Infusion Set (formerly the t:90 infusion set) 90° flexible soft cannula, Automatic insertion, Reversible connector, Transparent window at the insertion point, Available in Blue, Pink, and Grey, 6-9mm cannula, 23″ and 43″ tubing
- Autosoft™ XC (formerly branded Inset™) 90° flexible soft cannula, Automatic insertion, Reversible connector, One-handed insertion to help reach more site options, Transparent window at the insertion point, Available in Blue, Pink, and Grey, 6-9mm cannula, 23″ and 43″ tubing
- AutoSoft™ 30 Infusion Set (formerly the t:30 infusion set) 30° flexible soft cannula, Automatic insertion, Transparent window at the insertion point, 13mm cannula, 23″ and 43″ tubing
- VariSoft™ Infusion Set (formerly Comfort and Comfort short infusion sets) 30° flexible soft cannula, Manual insertion, a small window in front of the cannula shows when the soft cannula is inserted properly, a Built-in adhesive is strong yet hypoallergenic, Visible and audible connection and disconnection confirmation, 13mm and 17mm cannulas, 23″, 32″ and 43″ tubing
- TruSteel™ Infusion Set (formerly the Contact Detach infusion set) 29 gauge, 90º stainless steel needle, manual insertion, Additional adhesive pad offers extra protection against dislodging, 6 or 8 mm cannulas, 23″ and 32″ tubing. These tend to be the easiest to insert, easy to wear, and they have fewer issues with clogging and none with kinking.
All in all, a well-designed and easy to use pump that is expected to stand out even more over time as software updates arrive.