Thread: Why are there no posts for type 1.5???

Default Why are there no posts for type 1.5???

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I'm 67 and diagnosed this year as "type 1" by my Endo (Medicare required C-Peptide test to test blood glucose more than 3 times per day). My islet cells are almost all gone so I make no more insulin (autoimune). Why aren't there posts for type 1.5 Diabetics?

Thank you,
    dbuzz143

I'm equally dumbfounded, but part of the problem is that Type 1.5 or LADA ( See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latent_autoimmune_diabetes ) never got a catchy tag like Type 1 or Type 2, and Type 1, the less common of these two gets a lot more press because it starts in childhood and has a quicker (potentially deadlier) onset.

1.5 starts in adults of all ages and is slower to develop because the immune system gets weaker and more tolerant with age. On average, it takes about 5 years to shift from the initial diagnosis, done as in your case with antibody testing, where oral agents can help to needing insulin because the beta cells have finally bit the dust. Type 1 is usually associated with several antibodies that are unfriendly to the beta cells, while one antibody, called GAD 65 or glutamic acid decarboxylase 65, is more common in 1.5.

Being similar (now identical in your case) to Type 1 has advantages. If you replace insulin in a physiologic fashion (ie, doses that provide relatively normal glucose levels), health can be maintained without the extra demands that comes with cellular insulin resistance.

You might start a 1.5 Club to get the word out?
    Last edited by John Walsh, PA, CDE; 10-25-2010 at 12:39 PM.
    John Walsh, P.A.

I'm also very interested in a Type 1.5 discussion. I ran across an article in a local newspaper and began studying Type 1.5. I've been a diabetic since 2000. My A1C is pretty good (6.2) and I'm currently not on any medication. I was taken off Metformin and Actos. Metformin due to a problem with my kidneys and Actos due to it's side effects. I recently talked to my doctor and I may also have the dawn effect where blood sugar levels are high in the morning but OK the rest of the day. I'm trying various snacks at bedtime to see if that helps.